For all coffee
freaks! Walnut and coffee go well together coffee provides its unique flavour
and colour whereas walnuts provide required nutrients and crunch.
- 2 cups toned milk (available in tetra packs)
- 4 tsp skim milk powder
- 1 Â½ tsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp low fat cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 Â½ tsp coffee powder dissolved in
1 tsp boiling water.
- 2 tbsp crushed walnuts
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
METHODÂ Â Â Â
Combine the milk powder and corn flour with 1 tbsp cold milk in a bowl and keep
2) Boil the remaining milk in a non-stick pan. When it starts boiling add the milk powder and cornflour mixture and icing sugar while stirring continuously.
3) Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes till the milk thickens and keep aside to cool.
4) To the cooled mixture add the cream and coffee powder and mix well.
5) Pour the mixture into a shallow aluminium tin, cover it and place in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours.
6) Once the mixture has set, remove from the freezer and blend in a mixer till smooth.
7) Add the walnuts to the blended mixture, pour the mixture back into the vessel, cover and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
8) Divide into 4 equal portions and serve immediately.
Â Â Â Â STRAWBERRY GELATO
To make this gelato, carefully select the sweeter strawberries and smaller variety of strawberries as they are usually much sweeter than the larger ones. If the strawberries are sour, you may need to increase the quantity of sugar required.
- Â¾ cup strawberry puree
- 1 Â½ cups tone milk (available in tetra
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Â½ cup chilled low fat cream
- Â¼ cup icing sugar
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
1) Mix the corn flour in 1 to 2 tablespoon of cold water and keep aside.
2) Heat the remaining milk in a heavy bottomed pan. When it comes to boil, add the dissolved corn flour and 2 tablespoons of icing sugar and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes till the milk thickens. Keep aside to cool.
3) Remove from the fire and strain the mixture. Cool completely.
4) Beat the cream with the remaining powdered sugar.
5) Mix the cooled milk mixture with the cream and strawberry puree.
6) Pour the mixture into shallow aluminium tin, cover it and place in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours.
7) Once the mixture has set, remover from the freezer and blend in a mixer till smooth.
8) Pour the mixture back into the vessel, cover and place it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
9) Divide into 4 equal portions and serve immediately,
Â Â Â Â
SOURCE COOKING & MORE NOV-DEC 2006