Channa Dal : 2 cups
(soaked in water for 4-5 hours)
Oil : 1/4th cup.
Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
Jaggery : 2 cups
Turmeric powder : 3/4th tsp
Maida / flour : 3 cups
Nutmeg Powder : 3/4 th tsp
1. Cook the dal in a pressure cooker till soft. Drain out the water, till dal is dry. Add jaggery and cook. Add the turmeric powder and the cardamom and nutmeg powder. If grains are not totally mashed, grind it again. Make small balls and keep aside.
2. Mix Maida, 2 tbsps oil, water and salt and make a dough, knead the dough well. Then press and keep the dough in a vessel. Slightly touch the dough with light oil. Keep aside for 2/3 hours.
3. Make small circular chappati and put the ball on it. Close it from all sides so that the ball is covered completely. Preferably grease your hands to prevent the dough from sticking.
4. Then on a plastic sheet / material, roll out each poli like a chappati of 12 -15 inch gently. Use flour, while rolling it (not too much). Cook it on hot tava, on both sides, without ghee/oil.
5. Serve with ghee or milk or coconut Ras.
Note :You may substitute 2 cups of jaggery with one cup of jaggery and one cup of sugar.